I am using Win 7 and IE9. As the title says, anytime when I go to a page which runs Java Applet, IE just crashes. I uninstalled all or anything that has to do with Java and reinstalled the required ones. Rebooted the box and it did not solve the problem.
Oracle has a very good link on this questions. I did what is specified in the link and it did not fix it either. After some frustrating trail and error, I noticed, the IE that I am running is 32 bit, but my OS is 64 bit. So I ended up downloading IE9 64 bit and installed Java 64 bit and that is it. Now it works like a champ.
Thought this might help someone.
So I was given a project to debug and I started to debug and I got the infamous and more detailed error message from EF/WCF that ‘Load operation failed for Query ‘X’’. In my case this happened at the entry point at our authentication service itself. I know the code of authentication inside out so I added the existing project and start debug. I couldn’t debug and keep getting the same weird error message. So I went to our trusty friend Google and asked the question and vola there are bunch of posting on the same error message. The one really liked was from stack overflow. Even if you never got the error message but I would recommend reading the answer by John Nicholas. The reason for that is even though he did not give answer to the problem, he explained in two ways how you can tackle the problem. I took the short cut and enabled the WCF trace to see what is happening and the stack trace gave exact failing point at the server side and I was able to resolve the problem and keep moving. The sad part was the exception happened at the server side was specific bug in the code, but when we get the error message the message was not very obvious to track it down.With WCF tracing enabled it is easy to figure out what is happening at the server side fast and easy and right to the point.
Yesterday I ran into a very interesting problem. I have a solution with three projects. When I compile, I get an error saying namespace not found or might be missing assembly. The error was pointing one of the project in the same solution. So I ended up building each project by itself and two projects compiled properly but the one kept failing with the same error. Initially I thought, something might have messed up in the project dependencies and it turned out, that is not the case.
After looking at the properties of each project I found the real culprit. It is the target system in properties. So if you run into a problem, make sure Target Frame of all projects pointing to same type. In my case the failing one was pointing to .Net Framework 4 Client for some reason.
Hope this saves someone’s valuable development time.
I ran into two problems yesterday I thought I share it with you all and document it for future reference. I am using Silverlight 4 and VS2010.
1. I was writing a Silverlight Unit Test. When I compiled my simple test, it keep failing saying, Unable to load ‘System.Windows’ or its dependencies. It turned out, we need to make the System.Windows property to copy always.
2. I was debugging my Silverlight code and was able to step into my client code just fine. After some time, my debugging stopped working, none of my break points were hit. I was using Chrome as my default browser. I changed the browser to IE and debugging start working. So if you are a Silverlight developer do your self a favor and use IE other wise you will end up spending some time trying to figure this debugging problem.
One of my colleague bought this to my attention. He had this project that he build, it has both client and server side piece. It was all working fine and he was asked to fix something in the existing project for new release. He got the version from source safe and try to debug the code, to his surprise he was able to debug only the server side code (RIA services) but none of the client side break point is working.
I jumped in the issue. I got a different version which I was able to debug both client and server side, so I asked him to compare both projects and see what is it different. It turned out, in the web project properties, under ‘web’ tab all way at the bottom, there is a group called ‘Debuggers’, make sure you have Silverlight check box is checked. In his project, it was not checked that’s why he couldn’t debug. By checking the Silverlight check box now he is able to debug the client side code just fine.